Over 60 Years of Providing Meaningful Education
In 1961, a group of South Bay parents seeking excellence in education that was infused with character instruction founded and incorporated our school. Planning for this new learning institution had begun in 1958, utilizing education experts along with parents and interested friends and donors.
In September of 1962, two classroom teachers, four teachers of specialty subjects, and a Director warmly welcomed the school’s first twenty students in rented classrooms at Seaside Community Church, Torrance, California.
Eight months later in May of 1963, a growing student body and its teachers and administrators enthusiastically moved to new facilities purchased at 23225 Madison Street, Torrance. By 1968, the school enrollment had climbed to 100 students.
The school purchased its beautiful three-acre campus in Rolling Hills Estates in 1976. Dedicated teachers, administrators, and friends of the school worked tirelessly to prepare the new classrooms and play areas for the continued intellectual, social, and ethical growth of our PHS students.
As the curricular needs of the school and its students expanded, additional facilities were constructed on campus in 1999, including the art and science lab, music room, library, three additional classrooms, new playgrounds, and our amphitheater.
Continued parent and student interest in a PHS Middle School education prompted our school’s expansion. With the growth of our 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, Peninsula Heritage opened its own Middle School campus nearby in 2016. Comprised of three buildings that echo the ranch-style buildings of our main campus, this site provides classrooms, a science lab, outdoor learning spaces, and a large playing field for our students.
The year 2021 marked the 60th Anniversary of our school! Our entire school community celebrated Peninsula Heritage School's amazing past, while also looking ahead and planning for a bright future!